Cornerstone Awards — Winners Announced
We are excited to announce this year’s winners of the Ecclesiastical Insurance Cornerstone Awards, which bring national attention to exemplary projects and places that contribute to Canadians’ quality of life and sense of place and illustrate the viability of heritage buildings and sites for traditional or new uses.
Presented as part of the National Trust for Canada Awards, the honours are presented in two categories:
Projects completed between 2016 and 2019 that have creatively renewed or transformed historic places or landscapes for new or traditional uses; and
Resilient Historic Places
Places or landscapes that illustrate extraordinary resilience, significance, and benefit to a community over a sustained period, with a successful track record of 10 years or more.
Special consideration was given to places and projects that reflect one or more of the following principles:
- The involvement of youth
- Social innovation or enterprise
- Environmental benefits
- Cultural diversity
Five recipients were selected in the Transformative Projects category:
- B2 Lofts — Lunenburg, Nova Scotia
- Burrard Bridge Rehabilitation and Restoration Project — Vancouver, British Columbia
- Montgomery’s Inn Museum — Restoration — Toronto, Ontario
- Senate of Canada Building — Ottawa, Ontario
- Westinghouse HQ — Hamilton, Ontario
Six recipients were selected in the Resilient Places category:
- Conception Bay Museum (Customs House) — Harbour Grace, Newfoundland and Labrador
- Garrick Theatre — Bonavista Newfoundland and Labrador
- Gur Sikh Temple National Historic Site — Abbotsford, British Columbia
- Mississippi Valley Textile Museum — Almonte, Ontario
- Shingwauk Residential School Site — Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario
- Victoria Jubilee Hall — Walkerton, Ontario
We encourage you to discover more about these amazing projects by visiting nationaltrustcanada.ca.
Join us in celebrating this year’s Ecclesiastical Insurance Cornerstone Award recipients.
About the National Trust for Canada
The National Trust for Canada leads and inspires action for places that matter. Our sites, projects and programs engage Canadians, enhance local identity and bring heritage to life. Visit us at nationaltrustcanada.ca. The National Trust’s Awards honour contributions to community, identity, and sense of place. Learn more at nationaltrustcanada.ca/awards.