The Director, Property Claims works with the VP, Claims in managing all aspects of property claims to achieve maximum performance and profitability to meet our business goals and to ensure that the Company’s philosophy and standards are implemented. Effectively manages the property claims team and ensures that claims are adjudicated according to Ecclesiastical’s policies, procedures and standards for qualify of claims handling and for service and quality. Analyze and communicate on leading indicators that will impact performance, with recommended response(s).
Director, Property Claims
Key Accountabilities and Responsibilities
- Personally manages a portfolio of property claims that are complex and challenging due to COPE, coverage, size of loss and/or other considerations.
- Manages and mentors the national claims team as it relates to coverage and claims handling procedures to effectively handle claims while meeting our service objectives.
- Determines distribution of incoming property claims to the claims team, taking into account the location, experience and skills within the team and adjusting workflows as required.
- Manages performance of property portfolio through audit of claim files to ensure appropriate handling by internal and external claims handlers, including claims leakage, reserve adequacy, compliance with claims handling and services standards.
- Assists in the selection, retention and contract negotiation for service providers and manages the performance results.
- Reviews and updates property claims handling procedures and the Catastrophe Plan annually, communicate to the claims team and to staff more broadly.
- Conducts analysis of statistical information and KPI’s to identify trends, improve performance and support remedial action.
- Ensures performance meets business objectives through audit and review of KPI’s; recommend action to improve results
Skills, Education, Knowledge and Experience
- University Degree or College Diploma
- CIP or FCIP designation
- Minimum 15 years of claims experience in Canada, with expertise in commercial property insurance including property claims.
- Experience working in a “paperless” claims environment utililzing superior computer and systems knowledge
- Vendor selection and management experience
- Recovery experience including subrogation and reinsurance
- Broad knowledge of the business of insurance and commercial property insurance
- Demonstrable knowledge, skill and experience to independently manage complex claims through research and diagnosis; recommending courses of action that integrate with following business decisions.
- Track record of planning, organizing and completing, but integrating own results with the results of other individuals and participating in projects that complement professional or managerial functions and programs.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to communicate openly and effectively at all levels.
- Ability to motivate team to obtain results that meet the company strategic and business objectives.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Collaborative at all levels, engages others and supports team through consistent and thoughtful mentorship.
- Ability to offer consultancy, facilitate and mediate agreement/conflict, negotiate and advocate.
Some travel required to regions within Canada and as required for individual claims.